Your free Table Mountain audio tour is just a download away
Did you know the very first cable car was made of wood and took the British royal family to the summit of Table Mountain? Or that more than 25-million people have visited the Cableway since it opened in 1929?
This is just a taste of what visitors can expect to hear when they download our free audio tour. The audio tour – which was launched on 1 December 2015 – is a first for the Cableway and tells the story of Table Mountain and Cape Town.
At your own pace, learn about the fauna and flora at the summit while you marvel at the wondrous view below you or stop to take a photo of the sunset over the Atlantic ocean.
The audio tour starts at the Lower Cable Station – where you can download the VoiceMap application for free using our Wi-Fi. And if you’re standing in a ticket or cable car queue, it’ll keep you entertained before welcoming you to the Upper Cable Station, where your hour-long audio exploration begins.
Listen to the narration of several individuals sharing their interesting insights – from our MD Sabine Lehmann speaking about the Cableway’s responsible tourism initiatives to author Tony Lourens on hiking among the wilderness on Table Mountain. Regardless of your level of knowledge, you’re in for a fact-filled treat.
So, now that you’ve got the gist of the free audio tour – without many “spoiler alerts” – here’s a step-by-step guide on how to download the VoiceMap application to your mobile device:
- Before you begin, ensure your GPS is turned on
- Then, using our free Wi-Fi on offer at the Lower Cable Station, you can download the VoiceMap application from the Google Play Store (Android devices) or Apple App Store (iPhone)
- Simply search for “VoiceMap” and look out for the red icon with black headphones
- Once the application has installed successfully, open the application and hit the “Start” button – it will prompt you to go “Next”, until you see the login screen
- Of course, if you already have an account, simply login. If not, log in with Facebook or using a valid email address and you will have immediate access because an email verification will be sent to this address
- Open your “Confirmation instructions” email and follow the instructions. This will take you back to the VoiceMap application
- Press the three-striped icon on the top right-side and select “Cities”
- Scroll down to “South Africa” and select “Cape Town"
- A list of audio tours in Cape Town – if you’re downloading the VoiceMap application from our Lower Cable Station, the the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Audio Tour should pop up first. If not, scroll down until you find it
- Hit the “Free” green button
- A summary and a detailed overview of the audio tour, as well as useful information about the Cableway will pop up. You can also preview the tour and write a comment about it
- Here, you will download the free Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Audio Tour by hitting the “Free” green button again
- Once the download has successfully been installed, you must select the three-striped icon again and hit “My Routes”
- This will show all your downloaded audio tours, including the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway one which you’ve just downloaded
- When you’re ready to begin your audio commentary journey – hit the green “Start” button
- If you are more than 500m from the starting point, you will be prompted to either “Get Directions”, “Play Anyway” or “Cancel”
- If you choose to “Get Directions”, you’ll be shown a Google map
- If you choose to “Play Anyway”, the tour will start
- If you’re ready to start your free audio tour, put in your earphones and enjoy
- At the bottom of your screen, you’ll see icons that allow you to adjust the volume, take a photo, find your exact location and move between commentary. You can also choose when to play and pause the commentary – allowing you to stop for a photograph or even grab a bite to eat at our Table Mountain Café
Got a question we haven’t covered in this blog? Check out the VoiceMap FAQs here. And don’t forget to visit our homepage for our operational status or to buy your Cableway ticket online.