The cableway celebrates a successful peak festive season!
With 2019 in full swing and us recently welcoming our 28 millionth visitor to the Cableway, we are taking a moment to reflect on our successful peak festive season, despite challenging circumstances.
From the month of December 2018, we have reached the following records and numbers:
- More than 130,000 visitors through our doors: That’s right - 139,315 Cableway visitors boarded our cable cars during the month, marking a 6% increase from last year!
- The final weekend of December was the busiest: We saw a record number of 8,728 visitors on Friday 28 December 2018, followed by a total of 8,492 on Saturday 29 December 2018, resulting in long, albeit fast moving queues.
- More visitors bought tickets at the Ticket Office than online: We are always encouraging you to book your ticket online, but in December 2018, 56.4% of our visitors bought their tickets at our Ticket Office. In comparison, only 43.6% of visitors booked their tickets online.
- More than 1,000 visitors celebrated their birthdays with us: We wished Happy Birthday and issued free Birthday Special tickets to 1,290 South Africans with valid IDs during the peak season.
- More than 900 caught the best views before 8:00 am: By buying Early Access Tickets, 948 visitors beat the summer crowds by hopping on-board the first cable car up at 7:30 am and enjoying a muffin and filter coffee on us.
- We welcomed more international visitors than local ones: Unusually for this period, we saw a split of 50.8% international visitors to our 49.2% locals. The shortened South African school holidays affected domestic travel during December.
Our MD, Wahida Parker is pleased with the peak season results:
“A combination of excellent weather, improved traffic management, streamlined queuing system and the dedication and willingness of staff resulted in an amazing incident-free season! I am so proud of how we keep raising the bar and look forward to the next peak season.”
NB: Please note the above stats have been provisionally recorded. Our hardworking Autobots and bean-counters tallied final numbers on 22 January 2019.
We look forward to welcoming visitors worldwide to the Cableway this year.
Remember, the Cableway’s operations are weather dependent. Book your tickets online and check on our operational status by visiting our homepage, calling our weather line at +27(0)21 424 8181, sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or following us on Twitter and Facebook.