Cableway celebrates its 88th birthday!
In operation since 1929, and over 26 million visitors later, Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company today celebrates its 88th birthday and the 20th anniversary of the current cable cars.
The original steel and wood cable cars have been upgraded three times, first in 1958, again in 1974 and most recently in 1997 when the round cars with revolving floors called “rotairs” were introduced.
Some fun facts about the current cable cars:
- They can each transport up to 65 passengers
- More than 800 people can enjoy the trip (weather dependant) each hour
- The trip takes 4 to 5 minutes, having previously taken up to 10 minutes
- Similar cable cars are in use at Titlis in Switzerland and Palm Springs in the USA
- Weighing 18 tonnes and attached to counter weights weighing 134 tonnes each, the cables for the cable cars are 1,2km in length
- The cable car base is a water tank with a 3 000l capacity. This provides fresh drinking water for visitors, and is used as ballast in windy conditons
This month the Cableway invites locals to join the celebrations by taking advantage of special discount vouchers, which were printed in all the community newspapers during the last week of September. It will be reprinted in all the community newspapers the week of 9 October. Present the cut out voucher and you can purchase an adult return ticket and a child return ticket for R150 during October 2017.
Table Mountain cableway is open weather dependant. For information about the Cableway’s various specials call (021) 424 8181, visit our homepage or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.