Fire Flares on Table Mountain
Table Mountain Aerial Cableway was closed to the public from 27 - 29 January 2006 as fire swept the front face of Table Mountain from Platteklip Gorge to Lions Head.
A cigarette butt thrown out of a visitor’s vehicle was said to have been the cause of the fire. Smoking on Table Mountain is a fire hazard that people are continuously warned about and we remind all visitors how dangerous this action is.
According to experts, fire plays a vital role in the fynbos ecology for which Table Mountain is famous. This plant species is adapted to survive fires and fire is necessary for re-growth as fynbos could perish without the fire.