Peak season tips for visiting Table Mountain
The peak summer holiday season has kicked in, travellers are arriving in Cape Town and locals are prepping for their year-end adventures. Table Mountain Cableway has joined the fun by creating a "how to" guide for anyone planning to tick South Africa’s New7Wonder of Nature off their bucket list.
- For your convenience, buy tickets online. Buy your morning or afternoon ticket online here. Not only is having tickets in hand more convenient, it also allows you to bypass the Ticket Office queue. Morning tickets are valid from 8am to 1pm and afternoon tickets are valid from 1pm. Scan your digital ticket and join the faster-moving Ticket Holders queue
- Park and ride. Catch the FREE MyCiTi shuttle from the Lower Tafelberg Road parking lot to the Lower Cable Station. Departing every 20 minutes, these shuttles operate from 7am, with the last shuttle leaving the Lower Cable Station at 7pm
- Check out the special offers. From 6pm daily, all visitors can take advantage of the half-price Sunset Special promotion. This special runs until 18 December 2016 and again from 4 January 2017. For locals, we are making things even more affordable: not only do you receive a free ticket on your birthday, SA senior citizens and students also pay less on Fridays. Visit our homepage for more information
- Beat the crowds. Purchase Early Access tickets online for a return trip at R375 per ticket. Available from 15 December 2016 to 15 January 2017, these are valid from 7.30am. Alternatively, plan your visit for the afternoon when things are slightly quieter
- Remember the virtual queue. From 19 December 2016 until 8 January 2017, all visitors will need to book a boarding pass for their return trip via the virtual queue kiosks set up at the Lower Cable Station. Visitors who have hiked up can obtain their boarding pass for the trip down at the WiFi Lounge
- Much more than free WiFi. Visit the WiFi Lounge, recharge your devices and enjoy the delicious on-the-go food and beverage options. Savour the views from the balconies or settle down in the comfy seats. Hikers can buy one-way tickets at the WiFi Lounge from 19 December 2016 to 8 January 2017
- Pack right. Remember your walking shoes, sun lotion, sunnies, a warm jacket (just in case) and, most importantly, your camera
Additional useful info:
- Catch the MyCiTi bus service to the Kloof Nek bus stop before changing over to the FREE MyCiTi 110 shuttle at Lower Tafelberg Road. Alternatively hop on to the red City Sightseeing bus. Starting at the Two Oceans Aquarium and stopping at major Cape Town tourist attractions, the service runs every 20 minutes. For further information, visit www.citysightseeing.co.za
- Visit our homepage or follow @TableMountainCA on Twitter to find out if the Cableway is open, what queuing times are like and the weather at the top
- Free 30-minute guided tours depart from the Twelve Apostles Terrace, below the Shop at the Top and Table Mountain Café, on the hour from 9am to 3pm daily
- There is FREE WiFi at the Lower Cable Station. You can use this to download free Table Mountain Cableway audio tours via the Voicemap app (available from the Apple or Google Play stores). Once downloaded, these tours run offline. They’ll provide you with in-queue entertainment at the bottom and enable you to explore the top of the mountain at your leisure
- Weather conditions at the Lower and Upper Cable Stations can vary considerably. Longer queues can be expected if the Cableway is closed for a few days in a row due to adverse weather conditions. If you are a local and have more flexibility, avoid the Cableway’s busiest days between 19 December 2016 and 4 January 2017
Rise above the hustle and bustle this holiday season and discover majestic Table Mountain. From sunsets over the turquoise Atlantic to the humming cityscape and panoramic views below, the Cableway's splendours welcome you, your friends and your family to enjoy some authentic Cape Town magic.