Tips to make the most of your 2019 festive-season visit to the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway
Summer is in full swing and the festive season in Cape Town provides locals and visitors with the opportunity to enjoy everything from relaxing on the beach, to wine tasting or taking a trip up Table Mountain.
According to industry bodies, Cape Town can expect an increase in visitor numbers over this period compared with last year. Staff at the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway Company (TMACC) are looking forward to hosting the many anticipated tourists and locals this festive season.
To help beat the holiday rush and queues, we have launched our Early Access Tickets, which allow visitors to take the first cable car up at 7.30am – before the site opens to the general public. These limited tickets are only available for purchase online and are valid between 1 December 2019 and 15 January 2020.
“For everyone visiting Table Mountain during this period, TMACC is providing an exciting entertainment and activity programme to get everyone in the holiday spirit,” says Wahida Parker, managing director of TMACC.
Renowned local DJ Hilton Carlse will keep you entertained at the Lower Cable Station, accompanied by the vibrant Siyabuya Marimba Band, from 26 December 2019 to 5 January 2020. Father Christmas and his magical fairy will also sleigh up the mountain, making the visitor experience extra special and memorable.
“Last-minute shoppers are able to purchase local products from our gift shop for Christmas, and in the spirit of giving we will also have 12 days of free giveaways on our social media platforms,” says Parker.
Here are some tips to make the most of your festive-season visit to the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway:
- There is high demand for parking during peak season, so visitors are encouraged to use public transport. This includes a free MyCiTi shuttle service that operates from Lower Tafelberg Road to the Lower Cable Station
- Tickets are cheaper between 1pm and 4pm when the Cableway is generally quieter. Book your tickets here
- The Wi-Fi Lounge at the Upper Cable Station provides free Wi-Fi for visitors to share their experience with friends and family
- Visitors wanting to learn more about Table Mountain can download free audio tours using their mobile phones
- Free 30-minute guided walking tours are available between 9am and 3pm daily
- Students with valid local or international student cards get a discounted student ticket
“It’s a good idea to pack a small bag with essential items such as water to stay hydrated in the summer heat, and sunscreen or a hat for protection, as well as a jacket in case the weather turns,” says Parker.